Monday, January 5, 2009

Clean

I wrote this in January 2007 for my former employer as a website feature for the New Year. My prayer for all of you incredible friends as we roll into 2009....

Clean.

The word “new” is used a lot this time of year. The “new” sweater from grandparents is moved from under the tree to the closet with last year’s seldom worn apparel. Diet programs and gyms are advertising the promise of a “new” physique. A “new” calendar is on the wall and pledges to stick to a “new” budget are on our lips. Millions of us will make similar “new” claims.

But our culture depreciates newness much too quickly. Last year’s new sweater is now just 12 months old but seldom worn and unappreciated. The new computer under the tree? It has been out of date for months now, though just plugged in.

A search on an online biblical concordance found over 260 references to the word “new.” It is a favorite word of David, Isaiah, Jeremiah and countless others.

I like the word too.

There is limitless potential inherit in the new.

We are assured new life in Christ today, whether it is January 1st or May 25th. God’s promise is we can lay down our pride, flesh, cluttered minds, broken bodies and pick up new life.

It is a process. It is not easy. But it is true. And good. And hopeful.

A few nights ago I came in from running. I was hot; my clothes were nasty. When I stepped out of the shower, I did not put on my sweaty gear. I donned clean clothes. Why put on the old, when the new--the clean--was right at my wet feet?

“See the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you.” Isaiah 42:9 (NIV)

“See I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?” Isaiah 43:18 (NIV)

“We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” Romans 6:4 (NIV)

May God reveal to our hearts what parts of us need a touch of “new” this year. May we know what Jesus can peel and discard. And may we take His offer of new life in Him—washed, cleaned and covered with perfect blood.


Favorite thing today: Why did I wait until age 29 to read this book?! My favorite line so far "Boys are trying enough to human patience, goodness knows, but girls are infinitely more so." Amen!

0 comments:

 
Designed by Lena