Monday, December 22, 2008

But we see Jesus

I obsess over Christmas cards.

If I send cards that say "Happy Holidays" will people think I've pulled out the Menorah and Star of David. Will "Peace on Earth" work or will my family and friends think I am making some obscure political statement? "Seasons Greetings"? Will a picture of Santa project an overcommercalized celebration? But go ahead and shoot me if the card looks like it walked right out of LifeWay.

I've eaten a plate of sugar cookies to cope with the pressure.

But more than the card itself, I stress over what to say. Simply signing my name seems so impersonal.

So I asked Jesus this year what He wanted to say through the bright, silvery envelope arriving in people's mailbox. And the following will be a preview as most of you who stop by this little corner of cyber-world will be getting a card from me. Now you can skip over the words and admire the non-LifeWay"ness" of the card itself. Kidding. Only kidding.

"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone." Hebrews 2:9

But we see Jesus...

We see Jesus.

With all that is unseen and unknown in this life, Christmas is really about making the unattainable, real. The invisible made visible. The King of Glory known.

Not as a tiny baby, but crowed with glory and honor. Not the "Away in a Manger" child. He is crowned with glory and honor. His birth is really about His life. We celebrate Christmas because Jesus tasted death for everyone.

And He showed us the Father.

May our eyes be open this Christmas to Jesus. It is the very thing He came to do.

Merry Christmas.

Favorite thing today: I can't get enough of this song. Nor enough of this Christmas album...

0 comments:

 
Designed by Lena