Friday, December 26, 2008

A Recap

I'm tired. Not from doing too much, but mainly from the lack of activity that has been the last few days. Last time I checked, it is December 26, the day after Christmas. I should be exhausted from cooking, gift-giving, eating and family time. How did I manage to NOT do much these days? Taking a peek into my suitcase, I realized I did not need half of the packed clothes seeing as I have stayed in my pajamas for most of the past two days. Needless to say, this Christmas will be marked as one of the most relaxing ever for me.

Here is a recap:

1. After I had been in town a couple of hours, my mom says to me, "There are Carolina Deli cookies in the cookie jar," to which I promptly spun around and hugged the cookie jar. Really. I hugged the jar. Then I hugged my mama for purchasing a jar full of the best cookies ever tasted. Seriously. Heaven in my mouth. And slightly addicted.

2. Typical Christmas fare in the Thompson house includes broccoli casserole, sweet potato casserole, ham, ambrosia, macaroni and cheese, stuffing, green beans, potato salad and other goodness. I am sick with gluttony.

3. A small Christmas tragedy occurred when Mama Dot left Mrs. Johnson's Red Velvet cake at her house. Mrs. Johnson is 87. She loves my grandparents and makes us a Red Velvet cake every Christmas. My dad starts talking about the cake in October. No cake for us this year, but with all the aforementioned food, I don't think we needed it--though my dad may have a completely different opinion.

4. My phone stayed on the night stand in the guest room for 3 straight days. If you have tried to call, I apologize, but I am beginning to think that Blackberry is a spawn of Satan. It's been nice to be disconnected from Facebook, Twitter and phone calls.

5. Movies are a Christmas tradition in our house. One or all of us typically get a few DVDs each each. This year, dad got a BluRay player and TONS of DVDs. So we spent Christmas day watching Wall-E, Dark Knight and A Christmas Story. I had every intention of seeing Benjamin Button, but that would have required me changing out of my pajamas and driving to the theater.

6. My grandfather is hilarious without knowing so. In his yearly "funeral speech," he reminded us he may not be here next year and he should be buried extra deep so that Mama Dot could be buried in the same plot--to save money, you know. He also told us we should not have cooked so much food and instead eaten sub sandwiches.

7. Before leaving town, I had the opportunity to pray over the proposed site for the NewSpring Columbia campus. It is astounding to think about what God has planned, the lives that will be changed and how He is furthering His Church. My heart can hardly take it!

Overall it was a Christmas of peace, a gift from Jesus that was sweeter than anything wrapped under the tree. And for that, I am thankful. As I am for you, sweet friends. May you know the peace of God today.

But we see Jesus....

Favorite thing today: Beth Moore is challenging everyone to memorize more scripture in 2009.

0 comments:

 
Designed by Lena